Friday, October 24, 2008

Political ramblings.

Ok, so maybe I've let politics take over my blog (and my life) lately.  So what?  

I just happen to feel that this election is extremely important.  Maybe it's a sign that I'm finally starting to grow up a bit, but many of the issues this year are hitting a little too close for comfort.  I've not paid much attention to politics in the past, perhaps because I didn't really see a direct connection to how things affected me.  That is no longer the case.  

The economy is in the gutter.  I worry more each day about the availability of educaitonal finanical aid, and student loans.  Politics may very well decide whether or not my dreams get to come true.  

Not only that, but more than ever the issue of gender inequality is slapping me in the face everywhere I turn.  I've worked hard to get where I am in life, and I have a long way to go.  When I am done with school and start my career, I want to be able to earn the same amount of money as a similarly qualified individual, regardless of gender.  I don't want to be passed over for promotions in favor of less qualified men.  I want to be taken seriously.  More importantly, when I have children someday, I want them to grow up in a society that treats women with respect and dignity.  

Because of this, a McCain/Palin whitehouse scares the living daylights out of me.  I don't want my rights as a woman stripped away from me.  I don't want to be forced to pay for my own rape kit if I'm ever raped.  (In fact, I think that forcing women to pay for thier own rape kits is a great way to deter them from seeking medical attention . . . real nice).  

I do want to have a president and vice president who actively work towards protecting women's rights and promoting gender equality.  I had a look at Barack Obama's website a while back, when I was researching policies and issues . . . I was taken aback at how much he's done for domestic violence and sexual assault victims.  You can see for yourself here.   

I'm rambling, I know . . . but with only 11 days left until election day, I'm feeling the tension.  I'm scared and hopeful at the same time.  In 11 days America will either turn down a very dark and very scary road, or down a bright and beautiful path towards equality, diversity, and hope.  

I can't stress enough how important it is to get out and vote.  Do it.  It's your duty as a citizen of the United States of America.  

See you at the voting booth on November 4th! 

P.S.  I may or may not have lied about stopping with the poltiical posts.  ;)  Don't worry, though.  Only 11 days left.  

No comments: