Friday, August 22, 2008

Ich erlerne Deutsches.

I'm sure I probably butchered that title. Well, Babelfish did, that is. I only just finished my first week of class! I can't translate that on my own yet!

I'm both really excited and really nervous about learning German. Why am I nervous, you ask? Because in the class in order to demonstrate what I've (not) learned, I have to speak German OUTLOUD in front of the entire class. See, I suffer from a condition commonly known as Mindus Blankus. When I'm put on the spot, my mind goes blank, and rather than responding to the question 'Wie heißen Sie?' with 'Ich heiße Corry', I instead reply with 'uhhh . . . um . . . what was the question again?'

We've only had 4 class meetings so far, and I'm sure I'll start to get over my stage fright. I think.

I told Joe how I was feeling, and he replied with "Oh, I spent the entire semester feeling nervous in class!'

Oh. Great.

I am pretty excited though. In order to help me learn more quickly, I changed my phone's language to German. I discovered today, however, that it means that the auto-correct feature that is supposed to help reduce my typos is in German, as well . . . and since I'm typing in English, it thinks most of my words are spelled wrong! So I have to type even more slowly so I can stop it from auto-correcting.

So, those of you whom I text or email often, don't be surprised if my messages are written in Germenglish.

:P

That's all for today, folks! I'm off to the science lab to do my Geology lab assignment, and then my first week back at school will be concluded . . . and I feel GREAT!

No comments: