Monday, May 12, 2008

Go Cubs, Go!

Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs are gonna win today!
They’re singing …
Go, Cubs, go!
Go, Cubs, go!   

"Go Cubs, Go" ~Steve Goodman


Let me tell ya...hearing nearly 40,000 rowdy fans sing those lyrics in unison right after the Cubs swept the D-Backs was a pretty amazing thing to witness.  It seems that this is the norm for home team wins in Wrigleyville, but since this was only my second time seeing the Cubs play at home, it was a first for me.  I really wish I had a video camera with me so I could have recorded that moment, and the many other memorable moments I experienced at the game yesterday.  

Aside from only being my 2nd game at Wrigley, it was my first game as a bleacher bum.  I was surrounded by drunk people -- other than those in my group -- and every one of them was as die-hard as the next.  The one behind me was so drunk he fell into me and nearly knocked me down the bleachers 4 times before Chris, one of my group, finally made me switch seats with him.  Then the guy STILL managed to fall on me one more time! My back still hurts today!  

But...despite that, even he added to the enchantment of the day for me.  

The non-game highlight of the day was the guy that was seated about 20 or so people over from us...he was one among a group of shirtless (and also very drunk) guys with "Cubs" written across their stomachs.  About 3/4 of the way into the game, this guy put his hoodie back on, jumped the fence/wall of the right field bleachers, where we were, and charged the field!  

This is better told in pictures....













Don't get me wrong. . . the game itself was pretty great, but I think I got more out of just being part of the crowd, participating in several Cubbie traditions, and having a great time with 5 of the best friends a girl could ask for.  

The weather was crap, but I am thankful that the rain held off enough that the game even went on in the first place!  We were all so bummed out when we awoke yesterday morning to gray, cloudy skies and non-stop rain!  

Those gray skies didn't leave, but it still ended up being a beautiful day to me!  

I'd forgotten how much I love baseball!




No comments: