Monday, November 05, 2007

The overacheiver disease

I may not be an overachiever in all aspects of my life, but when it comes to school, I am. Granted, I've been out of school for 7 years, and this is my first semester back, but that shouldn't make my 98% and higher that I'm getting in every class any less significant.

I'm doing so much better than I ever thought I COULD do in school, and I'm loving every sleep-deprived second of it. However, I've begun to notice a downfall to this fierce drive that I seem to have... A test or assignment with a grade less than an A seriously affects my immediate mood. Why can't a B be good enough for me?

Today, this overachiever disease reached new heights. I had a test in my psychology class...I've gotten good grades in there so far, and have twice gotten the high score of the class on my tests. But I've gotten it in my head that the high score isn't good enough...that I need to get a perfect score.

I wizzed through the multiple choice questions, fairly confident with my selections...pounded out the essay questions, having no doubts at all on those...then moved on to the extra-credit. The extra credit was a large chart of the 8 senses, the organs, receptors, types of energy, and what lobes of the brain were related to those senses...the entire chart was blank, and we had to fill in every last cell, each worth a 1/2 point...but if you didn't get the scientific term for the sense correct, you didn't get any of the points for that sense.

FORTY cells to fill in on this chart...not an easy task...but I had this puppy in the bag. I zipped right through vision, had no problems with audition, in no time got through olfaction, cutaneous sense, vestibular sense, gustation, an kinesthesia. I had every cell filled out for prop...propec....propio....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT WORD!?

I sat there for 10 minutes...everything done but that one cell. I was the last student left in the class. I finally gave up. No chance of getting that perfect.

Proprioception.

I was in a pissed off mood for two hours. Because of an extra credit question.

Folks, I think I have a problem.

No comments: