Thursday, November 08, 2007

The music that fills my soul

I stayed after class today to get some advice from my Music Appreciation teacher about learning piano. I haven't GOTTEN a piano yet, but I will. Mark my words, I will.

Since my meeting yesterday with my counselor, I now have at least 2 credit hours I need to fill up at some point between now and when I graduate from here. (We re-worked my education plan and eliminated something I didn't need or want to take, leaving me with only 64 credit hours --assuming I pass everything, and am able to take everything I plan to-- and it takes 66 credit hours to graduate). I would LOVE to fill those credit hours up with learning the piano, if it were offered as a class in which I get credit.

Good news! It is!!! So, next fall, or possibly even starting in the summer, I plan to take music lessons through the college, AND get credit for them!!! :) Oh, and while I was in there, he told me that I am getting more than straight A's in his class....I'm over points. :D I'm getting more than a 100%! How cool is that!?

This has put me in a really good mood.

Oh, and it didn't hurt that I REALLY enjoyed what we learned in class today. To explain, let's travel back in time to a little over a year ago.

August of 2006, I spent 12 days with my best friend, Joe. He is from Houston, and goes to school in Baltimore. We had planned for me to make the drive back to school with him, from Houston to Baltimore, as it wouldn't really be a fun trip to make alone.

The trip, for me, included a week of hanging out in Houston, 3 days worth of driving to Baltimore, and another 2 days there before going home. During this time, Joe had to practice everyday for his audition for school. Now, I must point out that listening to Joe play his clarinet is one of my favorite things in life to do. It relaxes me, and takes me away from whatever is going on in my life.

At this particular time, one of the pieces he was practicing was an excerpt from Hector Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique."

I thought it was some of the most beautiful music I had ever heard. After 12 days of hearing that every single day, it was surprising just how much I MISSED it once I was back home. I longed to hear it again.

I told that to Joe, and he sent me the recording. It's been over a year, and rarely does a week go by in which I don't listen to it. If fact, there have been many times in which a week goes by and I don't listen to anything ELSE while at home.

This is one such week.

I woke up this morning and sat down at my computer. I maximized the media player window, and un-paused it from the spot in which I had stopped the night before. I let it play through the entire time I was getting ready for school, and paused it again, about halfway through the final movement, just before I walked out the door.

It sits there, waiting for me to come home from work tonight, hit play, and once again fill my apartment with that spectacular, emotion-filled masterpiece.

So, you can imagine my joy when the first thing Mr. Pecherek writes on the board is "Hector Berlioz," and we spend a good portion of class time talking about him and "Symphonie Fantastique." I only wish we would have listened to the entire thing, or at the very least, the final movement, but unfortunately, we didn't have time.

It is so wonderful to be able to learn about things that I love so much.

The prospect of 10 years of school used to be daunting to me...but at this moment in time, I think I'd be happy to be in school for longer! (I'm sure that'll change in a few years! :P )

No comments: